September 30, 2009

Bright guys like this are rare: Computer fixer in Bolga

We have a new site www.g-lish.org where you can read all articles from This is Ghana in a much more organised fashion. Read Bright guys like this are rare: Computer fixer in Bolga there.

Computers don’t stand much chance in this climate, and I’m not just referring to the heat and humidity. There is also the dust, persistent viruses courtesy of lazy internet cafĂ© owners, and the power fluctuations—you absolutely must use a stabilizer (as I write, the stabiliser is click clicking insanely and the power cut out twice).

However, finding someone who can competently repair a lap top or PC, recover data, and that you feel you can trust has at times seemed akin to finding a cure for cancer.

So, it was with great pleasure that (like most discoveries here) through a friend of a friend of a friend I came upon Bright Buzong Yintii: Bright in name and bright in deed. Qualifier: he’s in Bolgatanga. But if you’re stranded with a ‘finished’ lap top anywhere in this region, you need to know this guy because the alternative does not bear thinking about.

So, after he fixed several lap top issues, I asked him if I could do a short interview on my blog, as he has an interesting story. He said yes and here it is:

Thank you Bright. Please tell me what sparked your interest in computers?

‘I have been working with computers for nine years since senior high school. My father bought me a computer when I was in SS and I developed an interest. At senior school I decided to enroll in computer training school and I just loved it so much.’

So tell me about what do you do now?

‘My one year computer training was finished but they asked me to stay there. But I applied to the UDS to read agriculture and natural resource management. You know campus is not easy, money-wise, so throughout my studies I fixed people’s computers, printers, and copiers to make money and help my family. And with time I set up a centre on campus. But then I was posted to Bolga Polytechnic to do my national service. During service in agric the department realized I was good with computers and I came to service all the computers and teach computer studies.’

But what about your agric studies?

(He laughs.) Yes, I am slowly moving to agric projects. But I am also working independently with lots of computer clients who I built trust with over time. I am planning to set up a computer shop in town and start ITC training for women in Bolga.

That’s great, Bright. Mpo-heya. Thank you. And I can’t wait to visit your shop.

If you have a computer, printer or copier problem in the Upper East Region, you can call Bright on 0208 544 555, 0243 782 555, 07293564. Or you can email him on buzong2000@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...