April 17, 2017

Location Independent: Live and Work Anywhere You Choose

I wrote a story for a blog which doesn't exist anymore, 7 years ago, on living in Ghana.


Here is an excerpt: 
Looking at your blog, it sounds like location independence in Ghana can be somewhat challenging! How do you overcome some of these challenges? What kind of impact does it have on your life and your business?
It depends where you live in Ghana. If you’re in Accra or Kumasi, the largest cities, you have access to more reliable internet and amenities, although they do experience water and power shortages at times.

But I live in the far north where sometimes you feel like the service providers have forgotten you exist. We had terrible internet between January and March this year, such that I had to travel to other cities to do serious online work. Basically, everything slows down.

What I could normally achieve in 5 days might take 10 due to external variables like not having power or internet connectivity when you need them. I’m quite efficient and productive with consistent power and internet, so I find it quite frustrating that my output is sometimes half what it could be.

Sometimes I’m tempted to move to Accra, but we’ve committed to a project here; it’s the poorest area of the country and needs the most help and we’re in a perfect position to do that.

Read more about our project at http://glishfoundation.org

Image by zug55 is of Cape Coast Castle, looking east! I used to work a few minutes walk from there...aaah!

2 comments:

  1. Great post with inspiring information. There is a book in Swedish called "Härarbeta" - "to work right here" which discusses the same issue. I am glad to see it is not the only info on working from wherever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kajsa, Thanks! It's becoming a world-wide phenomenon. Location Independent is a brilliant resource and I hope others check it out too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...